Story By: THOMPSON SPEEDWAY MOTORSPORTS PARK – THOMPSON, CT – The familiar sights and sounds of screaming tires and roaring engines once again flooded northeastern Connecticut as cars big, small and, most importantly, fast, took to the Thompson Speedway high banks for the first time in months on Friday.
Practice started with utter heartbreak as, for the second year in a row, Kate Re leaves Icebreaker weekend with a destroyed Pro All Stars Series (PASS) Super Late Model.
At the beginning of the first practice this afternoon, the Kulwicki Driver Development finalist from Harrison, Maine had mechanical issues that sent her No.10 hard into the Turn 1 wall.
Unable to repair the damage, Kate and her team packed up and started the three-hour drive back home.
‘Kid Roc’ Keith Rocco also had an off start to his return to familiar stomping grounds. The 2021 Thompson 300 victor started the day 11th on the Sunoco Modified speed charts before quickly bouncing up to 1st on the Outlaw Open, Tour-type, Modified charts soon after.
While Rocco made great advances in speed and consistency throughout today’s practice sessions, his team still has their work cut out for them.
Eight of the nine Icebreaker divisions took advantage of Friday Optional Practice Day, fast times and top speeds by division are below.
Division – Practice Round – Driver/Number – Division Fast Time – Division Top Speed
- Outlaw Open Modifieds – Round #2 – Matt Galko #3 – 19.038 sec. – 118.185mph
- Sunoco Modifieds – Round #3 – Danny Cates #46 – 19.768 sec. – 113.820mph
- PASS Super Late Models – Round #4 – Ryan Kuhn #72 – 19.929 sec. – 112.901mph
- SK Lite Modifieds – Round #2 – Tyler Chapman #41 – 20.514 sec. – 109.681mph
- ACT-type Late Models – Round #2 – Tom Carey III #5MA – 21.244 sec. – 105.912mph
- EXIT Realty Pro Trucks – Round #2 – Gerard Giordano, Jr. #15 – 22.076 sec. – 101.921mph
- Limited Sportsman – Round #2 – Bryan Norman #12 – 23.082 sec. – 97.479mph
- Mini Stocks – Round #7 – Kevin Moore #82 – 24.626 sec. – 91.367mph
Starting Saturday April 2nd, at 1:00pm is Icebreaker Day One with Thompson Local Divisions, the Sunoco Modifieds and Mini Stocks, with special events for the PASS Super Late Models, EXIT Realty Pro Truck Series and NEMA Lites.
Pit gates open at 7:00am while the grandstands open at 10:00am.
On Sunday, April 3 the Outlaw Open Modified Icebreaker 125 sets the stage for the Tour-type Modified season in New England. Starting at 1:00pm, the headlining $10,000-to-win event is also supported by the local ACT-type Late Models, SK Lite Modifieds and Limited Sportsman.
Pit gates open at 9:30am and grandstands will open at 11:00am.