Story By: WHITE MOUNTAIN MOTORSPORTS PARK – NORTH WOODSTOCK, NH – Candia, NH’s Jimmy Renfrew Jr. took home more than $6,200 worth of purse and lap money with his victory in the R&R Raceparts NH Fall Foliage 100 at North Woodstock, NH’s White Mountain Motorsports Park on Saturday, September 25.
Renfrew withstood furious pressure from Kenduskeag, ME’s Kris Watson down the stretch, then nursed his Lemieux Racing machine home for the win after smoke started flowing from the rear end in the final few laps.
The multi-time Foley Oil & Propane Late Model winner started 18th in the 30-car field, for which 42 cars attempted to qualify. Newly crowned Thunder Road Flying Tiger champion Mike Martin started on the pole and led the first 18 circuits before Watson roared around the outside.
A caution came out a lap later when Aaron Day spun after the field accordioned in front of him. On the restart, Martin made contact with Shane Sicard while trying to get to the inside groove. Sicard ended up with a flat tire while both Martin and Jason Woodard were shuffled back in the field. Renfrew was the big beneficiary, snaking through to the fourth spot.
The Lee USA Speedway Street Stock point leader continued his march, getting past Chris Riendeau for second with 24 laps complete. Renfrew then chased down Watson and slingshot past him following a lap-47 restart for the race’s fourth caution.
But Watson wasn’t done, and after three more quick cautions — which included Travis Hollins parking atop the turn three tire barriers — the duo went at it. The lead changed hands on four consecutive laps before Renfrew was able to secure the point again.
Renfrew then pulled away over a long green flag run but encountered a crowd of lapped traffic with 15 to go, giving Watson one more shot. As Renfrew went to the outside of Ron Bolduc, Watson put his car three-wide coming off turn two. He couldn’t make it stick though, getting way sideways in turns three and four.
Watson made the save but could only watch Renfrew scoot away again. Renfrew built up enough of a lead that, when the car started showing smoke with three laps to go, he was able to nurse it home. The victory netting Renfrew the guaranteed $5,000 top prize plus $25 for each of the 50 laps he led.
Watson finished second while Waterboro, ME’s Adam Lovejoy came on strong late to take third. Jim Storace, Riendeau, Bryan Wall Jr., Martin, Woodard, Pat Thorne, and Christopher Buffone rounded out the top-10.
Littleton, NH’s Tyler Thompson captured his first win of the season in the Woodsville Guaranty Savings Bank Strictly Stock Mini’s while Groveton, NH’s Luke Shannon barely held off Thompson for the championship. Shannon entered the 30-lap feature with a 16-point advantage but was dealt a blow on lap four when Brendan Clark spun out of the third position entering turn one. Shannon, Jillian Baumgardner, and Mike Smith all piled in and sustained major damage.
A lengthy caution for clean-up allowed Shannon to make it back for the restart. At the front of the field, Thompson grabbed the lead from James Knights on lap 10 while Shannon struggled to break through the pack. Another caution on lap 17 for fluid on the track helped Shannon close things up, and he eventually made it up the seventh position.
Meanwhile, Thompson surrendered the lead to Bethlehem, NH’s Brett Jackson on the restart before taking it back two laps later. The 17-year-old then fended off a late bid by Donnie Baumgardner for the victory. But although Thompson earned maximum points on the day by also winning his heat race, the 15-year-old Shannon was able to hang on to the championship by four points.
Jackson finished third followed by Les Washburn and Cody Hodge. Knights, Shannon, Chris Moulton, Todd Derrington, and Dave Driscoll also ended their seasons with a top-10 finish.
Gilmanton, NH’s Tommy Smithers wrapped up the Arnold’s Wayside Diner Dwarf Car championship while teammate “Downtown” Bobby Brown of Lincoln, NH took his third win of the season in their 30-lap feature. Brown was able to break out of an early logjam in the middle of the pack to run down early leader Dave Gyger. Brown swung to the outside of Gyger and took the lead with 13 laps complete.
Easton, NH’s Jason Wyman, the only driver who could catch Smithers entering the feature, did his best to slice through the field. The defending champion grabbed second from Gyger with three laps to go in the caution-free event while Smithers was stuck in the sixth spot at the checkered flag. It was enough, though, for Smithers to take the title by six points. Campton, NH’s Gyger held off Colby Bourgeois for third while Howie Switser completed the top-five.
Waterford, VT’s McKenna Merchant capped the Dads 4 By Tool & Supply Kids Truck season with her fourth win of the year. Merchant started deep in the field for the 20-lap feature. However, Lady Luck was on her side the opening lap when polesitter Hayley Corum got out of sorts entering turn four. Tommy Smithers, Damion Sicard, and Logan Farnsworth all caught a piece of the resulting scrum.
Merchant restarted the event second and got the jump over Austin Sicard. Gilmanton, NH’s Smithers ran her down halfway through the feature with Lincoln, NH’s Kyle Goodbout making it a three-way battle in the closing laps. The leading lady parried everything they had before slipping up the track a little bit the final time through turn three. Smithers put his nose inside, but Merchant recovered and held him off for the victory. Goodbout took third with Owen Rogers and Damion Sicard completing the top-five.
White Mountain wraps up Fall Foliage Weekend and the 2021 racing season Sunday, September 26 at 1:00pm. The ACT Late Model Tour comes to town for the Fall Foliage 200 with $5,000 to the winner. They’re joined by the Wells River Chevrolet Flying Tiger championship event plus the Burnett Scrap Metals Road Warriors, GoMotorsportsShop.com NELCAR Legends Tour, and NELCAR Bandoleros. The pits open at 8:00am and the front gates open at 10:30am. Admission is $25 for adults, $5 for kids ages 6-12, and free for kids ages 5 and under.
WHITE MOUNTAIN MOTORSPORTS PARK — N. Woodstock, NH
FALL FOLIAGE WEEKEND DAY 1
SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 25, 2021
R&R RACE PARTS NH STREET STOCK OPEN
FALL FOLIAGE 100
Pos., Start Pos., Driver, Car #, Hometown, Laps
1. ( 18 ) Jimmy Renfrew Jr. ( 6 ) Candia, NH , 100 Laps
2. ( 3 ) Kris Watson ( 35 ) Kenduskeag, ME , 100 Laps
3. ( 7 ) Adam Lovejoy ( X ) Waterboro, ME , 100 Laps
4. ( 10 ) Jim Storace ( 22X ) Kingston, NH , 100 Laps
5. ( 2 ) Chris Riendeau ( 4VT ) Ascutney, VT , 100 Laps
6. ( 16 ) Bryan Wall Jr. ( 77NH ) East Kingston, NH , 100 Laps
7. ( 1 ) Mike Martin ( 01 ) Craftsbury Common, VT , 100 Laps
8. ( 5 ) Jason Woodard ( 68VT ) Waterbury Center, VT , 100 Laps
9. ( 14 ) Pat Thorne ( 27 ) Gray, ME , 100 Laps
10. ( 12 ) Christopher Buffone ( 2 ) Belchertown, MA , 99 Laps
11. ( 8 ) Ron Bolduc ( 95 ) Plaistow, NH , 99 Laps
12. ( 22 ) Tim Boyle ( 90B ) Barrington, NH , 99 Laps
13. ( 28 ) Joseph S. Arena ( 74 ) Bristol, CT , 99 Laps
14. ( 4 ) Shane Sicard ( 37 ) Barton, VT , 99 Laps
15. ( 17 ) Tyler Chase ( 64 ) Sandown, NH , 98 Laps
16. ( 24 ) Justin Storace ( 4X ) Kingston, NH , 96 Laps
17. ( 27 ) Travis Hollins ( 07 ) Milford, NH , 96 Laps
18. ( 26 ) Erik Smith ( 7VT ) Perkinsville, VT , 90 Laps
19. ( 9 ) Justin Prescott ( 44VT ) Williston, VT , 85 Laps
20. ( 23 ) Cole Robinson ( 61 ) Clinton, ME , 81 Laps
21. ( 21 ) Aaron Day ( 44 ) Rochester, NH , 63 Laps
22. ( 25 ) Ryan Bell ( 11X ) Acworth, NH , 56 Laps
23. ( 15 ) Joel Hodgdon ( 36VT ) Craftsbury Common, VT , 56 Laps
24. ( 13 ) Keith Johnson ( 4NH ) Winchedon, MA , 54 Laps
25. ( 19 ) Brandon Gray ( 00VT ) Thetford, VT , 46 Laps
26. ( 5 ) Jason Woodard ( 68VT ) Waterbury Center, VT , 38 Laps
27. ( 29 ) Kyle Gero ( 19CT ) Baltic, CT , 34 Laps
28. ( 30 ) Brian Caswell ( 47 ) Buxton, ME , 30 Laps
29. ( 6 ) Ryan Phillips ( 89 ) Buxton, ME , 29 Laps
30. ( 20 ) Jordan Russell ( 4 ) Norway, ME , 20 Laps
Lap Leaders: Mike Martin, 1-18; Kris Watson, 19-47; Jimmy Renfrew Jr., 48-57; Watson, 58; Renfrew, 59; Watson, 60-61; Renfrew Jr., 62-100. (6 lead changes among 3 drivers)
Time of Race: 55 minutes, 32 seconds Margin of Victory: 2.312 seconds
Cautions: 7 (laps 19, 20, 38, 47, 55, 56, 56)
Heat Winners: Justin Prescott, Jim Storace, Tanner Woodard, Christopher Buffone
Consi Winners: Kris Watson, Jimmy Renfrew Jr.
B-Feature Winner: Justin Storace
WOODSVILLE GUARANTY SAVINGS BACK STRICTLY STOCK MINI’S
Pos., Driver, Car #, Hometown
1. Tyler Thompson ( 51 ) Littleton, NH
2. #Donnie Baumgardner ( 4 ) N. Woodstock, NH
3. Brett Jackson ( 31 ) Bethlehem, NH
4. Les Washburn ( 17 ) Bethlehem, NH
5. Cody Hodge ( 72X ) Orleans, VT
6. #James Knights ( 02 ) Littleton, NH
7. #Luke Shannon ( 13 ) Groveton, NH
8. #Chris Moulton ( 15 ) Pepperell, MA
9. Todd Derrington ( 57 ) Bethlehem, NH
10. Dave Driscoll ( 19 ) N. Woodstock, NH
11. John Knight ( 12 ) Franklin, NH
12. Scott Senecal ( 1 ) Lisbon, NH
13. Jack Hayes ( 09 ) Littleton, NH
14. Brett Rowell ( 09X ) Lower Waterford, VT
15. Adam Sicard ( 16 ) Barton, VT
16. #Brendan Clark ( 22 ) Dalton, NH
17. Jillian Baumgardner ( 14 ) N. Woodstock, NH
18. Michael M. Smith Jr. ( 22X ) West Burke, VT
19. Don Judd ( 87 ) Franklin, NH
ARNOLD’S WAYSIDE DINER DWARF CARS
Pos., Driver, Car #, Hometown
1. Bobby Brown ( 27 ) Lincoln, NH
2. Jason Wyman ( 88 ) Easton, NH
3. Dave Gyger ( 93 ) Campton, NH
4. Colby Bourgeois ( 82 ) St.Johnsbury, VT
5. Howie Switser ( 11 ) West Burke, VT
6. Tommy Smithers ( 60 ) Gilmanton, NH
7. Jeff Ainsworth ( 41 ) Bethlehem, NH
8. Wayne Pillsbury ( 4 ) Claremont, NH
9. Chad Dufour ( 52 ) Littleton, NH
10. #Jamie Ball ( 99 ) Barnet, VT
DADS 4 BY TOOL & SUPPLY KIDS TRUCKS
Pos., Driver, Car #, Hometown
1. McKenna Merchant ( 99 ) Waterford, VT
2. Thomas Smithers, VI ( 24 ) Gilmanton, NH
3. Kyle Goodbout ( 90 ) Lincoln, NH
4. Owen Rogers ( 4 ) Glover, VT
5. Damion Sicard ( 23 ) Barton, VT
6. Logan Farnsworth ( 22 ) St. Johnsbury, VT
7. Austin Sicard ( 01 ) Gilmanton, NH
8. Hayley Corum ( 10 ) Gilmanton, NH